Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Need Help Planning Family Outing to Mentone/LittleR/Desoto

We want to go check out this area as an alternative to the Smokies (been there %26amp; done all that). Kids are 12, 14 %26amp; 15. Has anyone tried the trips with True Adventure Sports? Where would you stay %26amp; eat? Anything to avoid? I would love to read someone%26#39;s blog about their visit(s) to Mentone/Little River Canyon/Desoto State Park. Thanks!



Need Help Planning Family Outing to Mentone/LittleR/Desoto


Why not just stay in Chattanooga? You can day trip to the Little River Canyon and DeSoto Falls from there, and could also spend time seeing other things around town (assuming that you don%26#39;t spend much time in Chattanooga anyway). There are more places to stay and eat, and you could spend the evenings out on the river front.





You could camp at Cloudland Canyon State Park, about halfway between the front of the mountain and DeSoto. The campground there is nice and the canyon itself is incredible. You wouldn%26#39;t be far away from Little River, DeSoto, Point Park, Lookout Mountain Military Park, Chattanooga Nature Center, and the like.





I%26#39;ve been to Little River Canyon once and loved it. The views are incredible and it%26#39;s fun to climb on rocks and do some swimming in the river. (I did it during a drought, so I don%26#39;t know about conditions now.) Btw, I%26#39;m fifteen.



Kristian



Need Help Planning Family Outing to Mentone/LittleR/Desoto


According to Google Maps, we are only 66 miles from Little River/Desoto State Park. We have camped at Cloudland Canyon before. I can%26#39;t imagine a canyon in the southeast bigger than that! I found pictures on a ';swimminghole'; website for Hippie Hole on Little River. We%26#39;ve never taken the kids caving, %26amp; they%26#39;ve only rock climbed indoors. I%26#39;m hoping this place will be a good first outdoor adventure for them.




Sorry; somehow ';family outing'; got translated in my mind into ';trip';.



Little River isn%26#39;t visually a whole lot bigger than Cloudland, but it is a little. It%26#39;s much more rugged which makes it seem bigger. If you want to see some pics, just Google for them. Sorry, I don%26#39;t have a lot of experience with the canyon; just that one day.





As a side note, if you guys would ever want to try a long day trip, consider Virgin Falls between Chattanooga and Nashville (you might even have to stop in Chatt for a night so you have a full day). Along one ten mile hike is one of the five most incredible views I have ever seen (and yes, I%26#39;ve been to Alaska, the Smokies, Yellowstone, and Washington), four waterfalls (two large ones, each worth the hike just in themselves, Caney Fork River, and awesome caves. The system extends for miles and has some thirty two entrances or so. Needless to say, it%26#39;s really cool. Do a forums search for ';Virgin Falls'; and you can find a piece I wrote about it.




I realize this is months late, but I wanted to plug True Adventure Sports. I rappel with them at least once a month (just got back from one yesterday). If I had kids, I would definitely trust them with any/all offerings of TAS. Israel Partridge, owner of TAS, has a great way with kids (got my nephew, aged 12, to rappel recently) and adults to get you to do things you never thought possible and to do it safely. If it%26#39;s not safe, Israel won%26#39;t ask you to do it. I hope you plan an outing and go on an adventure with True Adventure Sports.




  • remedies blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment