Saturday, March 24, 2012

shrimp festival

We have been going to Gulf Shores for years, but this will be our first shrimp festival. Let me know your favorite thing to do,see, eat. Some expert advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

shrimp festival

As much fun as the annual National Shrimp Festival is, the run-up to the event is great for another type of entertainment: people- and process-watching. With the festival still a future event, preparation in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach goes at a steady but manageable pace. Vendor tents begin to appear one by one along the Alabama Gulf Coast. Signs go up. Souvenirs are unpacked. And businesses get a little extra sprucing up. But when the festival is just a week away, well, things go into overdrive. The tents that were steadily going up before begin to spring forth like mushrooms after a summer rain. Lists get checked; logistics get checked; sound systems get checked. It%26#39;s almost like watching a favorite film on fast-forward. The best part is getting to be an observer for the warm-up and a beneficiary of all that hard work.

Thinking about all the wonderful food that is going to be at the 37th annual National Shrimp Festival has put me in the mood for some shrimp. I grabbed a bag of Alabama Gulf Coast shrimp brought home from a recent trip to Gulf Shore and Orange Beach out of the freezer. (It%26#39;s so great to be able to stop at a local market and get shrimp cooked to order and packed to travel!) Once my shrimp, about 14 to 16 ounces, thawed, I added a bit of Old Bay seasoning, then finely diced the shrimp. I put about half on a plate, then topped that with an 8-ounce block of cream cheese that had been brought to room temperature. I added the rest of the shrimp, then topped it all with cocktail sauce (also brought back from the Alabama Gulf Coast). I served my Shrimply Delightful Dip with crackers and crudite. What a hit!

shrimp festival

Most locals go on Thursday night as The Tip Tops play and there%26#39;s not so many people. That said, with Zatarin%26#39;s sponsoring this year%26#39;s festival they have some (for us anyway) big acts on the weekend. Wayne Toups (killer cajun), Jo Dee Messina, and Molly Hatchet.

What I usually do is park my car in the Bruno%26#39;s parking lot and take the BARTS shuttle they provide. I%26#39;ll check out all of the artists booths, get something to eat, an adult beverage, and just kind of people watch. I also usually buy a t-shirt but this year I%26#39;m volunteering and they give you one for free.

Saturday usually has a family sand building contest that is fun to look at.

A co-worker says there%26#39;s a thing called a ';cajun bomb'; that is the best thing she%26#39;s ever eaten. I%26#39;ll have to check it out. She says they are so popular, they usually are out by Saturday night.

Here%26#39;s their website: http://www.nationalshrimpfestival.com/


DD, is that the same thing I%26#39;ve heard called the ';cajun pistol';? In all the years I%26#39;ve lived here, I%26#39;ve never gone to the Shrimp Fest! Not a fan of crowds. I did recently see the Tip Tops at the Hangout and they were awesome. I may finally take the plunge and go this year so thanks for the advice. Thankfully BRATS has service all down West Beach so it shouldn%26#39;t be too tough to get there.


I%26#39;m like Irie. I tend to spend Shrimp Festival by the pool in my back yard. Too many people and just walking through the food booths makes my arteries harden. We do go sometimes on Thursday night, but don%26#39;t stay long. Unfortunately, it%26#39;s getting to be the same vendors selling the same stuff every year. Don%26#39;t get me wrong, it%26#39;s good for visitors and brings a lot of money to town. Just not my kind of thing.

Cajun Pistol is, I think, a crawfish stuffed beignet of sorts. Never had one, but I%26#39;ve seen them at SF.


Well if I try to go on Thursday night maybe it won%26#39;t be too crowded yet. So what%26#39;s in a ';cajun bomb';?


Thanks for your help,we will go Thursday to avoid the crowds. Another question, is the gas shortage affecting Alabama?


';Another question, is the gas shortage affecting Alabama?';

No. We have off shore oil rigs that subsidize gas here in Alabama.


We will be arriving in Guld shores this sat Oct 4th. I have been reading about all the preparation for the Shrimp festival. We leave the day it starts. Would we be able to buy anything before official start dates?? Noticed that booths will be up by the time we get there.


I imagine you%26#39;ll be able to buy whatever you see that you like. If there is a nickel to be made, those vendors will do whatever it takes.

  • easy hair and makeup ideas
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment