Friday, March 23, 2012

road construction

I%26#39;ll check the road repair websites but they are not always accurate or easy to follow. If anyone has recent driving experience please let me know: Traveling Memphis through Tupelo to Birmingham on mostly Hwy 78 (I think it becomes AL 4) then I-20 to Atlanta. The last time we did this we sort of got lost and got into construction and detours around Birmingham. Thanks for any update. If we do travel this route, and again I can mapquest it, will staying at Embassy Suites in Birmingham over night put us much out of the way for this route? (our trip is much longer than just Memphis - Atlanta) Thanks



road construction


Embassy Suites in B%26#39;ham is, I think, just off I-459, so it%26#39;s not terribly out of the way.



road construction


Actually it is a little bit out of the way. It is just off Highway 280 (Red Mountain Expressway), a couple of miles away from I-459 (which you won%26#39;t need to be on anyway).



After you get into Birmingham and onto I-20 east to Atlanta, I would recommend staying in Leeds just outside Birmingham. There are several nice, fairly new places at exit 144. If you are set on the Embassy Suites for some reason, you will take the Highway 280 exit off of I-20 downtown just past the Convention Center. You will see the hotel on the right just after you go over Red Mountain.



Regarding Mapquest, it is probably not up-to-date with the construction and extension of Corridor X (Future I-22). You will not take AL 4 at any point. Highway 78 is now limited access, 4-lane (or more) all the way from the state line to Birmingham. There is still a section to be completed to connect it to I-65, so it can get tricky at the end. If interested, you can click on my screen name and see past posts regarding traveling from Corridor X to I-65.




Thanks so much. I will click your name and do a further search on your past posts regarding travel through Birmingham. Your mention of the word ';tricky'; reminds me of the last time I tried traveling through Birmingham when we got a bit lost, but with your posts maybe things will be easier. As to a preference for Embassy Suites, we are traveling with another 2-person family and with the two room suite with bed in the living room for the other family, plus cooked to order breakfast, it has worked in the past economically and satisfied everyone%26#39;s appetite. If anyone knows alternate lodging in Leeds which is comparable I%26#39;d appreciate knowing... and thanks for the quick replies.




I can%26#39;t think of much to add, other than the part of US 78 being limited access. Along about where you cross the county line from Walker into Jefferson county, the highway will become more congested, and is not necessarily limited access, but it is 4 lane. You will go through a few suburbs %26amp; lights until you reach I-59N/I-20W (they run together at this point). Just be patient through this area, btu if you can help it, do not make a stop here.





I agree, if you do not stay in the ES in Homewood, wait until you get well East of Birmingham. Leeds/Moody does have some new construction.



If you like the familiarity of the Embassy Suites, depending on the time of day, it is really not that big a deal to get off your route. That hotel is about halfway (same difference) between I-59 downtown where you%26#39;d exit, and I-459 should you choose to re-enter I-20 that way.





I do not know about Mapquest, but I often use www.randmcnally.com, and I do NOT find their road construction updates to be out of date.





Come on back if you have any more questions.





Have a good trip,



Miller




we did the corridor X last May and it is very easy- do not get off when it says To Birmingham- go to the end of corridor X and you will exit right onto Cherry Avenue and then go about 4-5 miles and turn left onto Daniel Payne Dr which will take you to 65 south then take 20 east to Leeds or 280-if you do go to embassy Suites exit at 21st avenue south then go straight at light and you will be there-it really is close to I-20-not even 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment