Friday, March 23, 2012

Retirement home in Hunstville Area

Hello All: I recently bought a house in Madison county, near Capshaw, AL. I am retired Military and will retire DOD Civil Service next year. Alabama does not tax military or Federal pensions, which helped me make my mind up. Cost of living, property taxes,and more bang for your dollar got us to Alabama from Florida. We wanted 4 seasons, not to harsh winters, hardwood forest, rivers, lakes, close to shopping, and Great People. We found it all. Southwest services BHM and Nashville for cheap flights. If anyone has any input or information regarding relocating and retiring in North Alabama please post it.





Retirement home in Hunstville Area


We are also retired military. Are considering retiring to Huntsville after contractor job in Wash DC. How is Redstone Arsenal as far as PX, Commisary, and other facilities? Are there quite a few military/Army retirees there? Any MOAA/NCOA chapters? Thanks. DD in DC



Retirement home in Hunstville Area


Welcome to the Huntsville area. In addition to all you said, I think Huntsville is going to really explode soon. People simply can%26#39;t afford to live in the Northeast, DC, California... anymore. They have to look for similar jobs elsewhere, such as Huntsville. All the good things you wrote are true and the job market is incredible for engineers and scientists. It is a unique place in the country, you can have a great paying job and a reasonably priced house. Try finding that combination in other high tech areas around the country.




You all seem to have a pretty good sense of what we have here. One thing that doesn%26#39;t get mentioned is you need to be sure to file for homestead exemption with the tax office in your county to reduce the property taxes you will pay. Otherwise the state and county are glad to charge you the higer rate.




DD in D.C.


The PX and Commissary at Redstone serves us all very well. After other commissaries I seem to think that Redstone%26#39;s is used extensivley partly because of the 7-8% sales tax on food and on everything in Huntsville. So there is substantial savings. I travel back and forth from Florida to Huntsville, once or twice a month. The cost of houses is slowly creeping up but nothing like DC or my area in FL. There is a lot of construction boom going on also with housing developements. I bought in Madison, 1 mile from Capshaw. It is 17 miles from my house to Redstone. I highly recommend you check into this area. I have a fantastic realtor also. Marsha Buxton at Coldwell Bankers in Huntsville. You can find her on the web. Best of luck.


Road Toad




Oops. Forgot. Yes they are a lot of retirees in the area. Which will account for all the NCOA, clubs etc. It%26#39;s all there. You will just have to get involved with these organizations when you have the opportunity to do so. Also BRAC will have an effect on the area. More troops are coming in due to other Army posts be re-aligned. The medical is Fox Army Clinic. I am TRICARE Prime. There is a very nice golf course on post. The Tennesee river offers great boating and fishing. Just 10 miles east the mountains begin. YOu are centrally located from Atlanta, Nashville, B%26#39;Ham, Chattanooga, etc. Major Interstate serves the area. Traffic is a problem, but that seems to be everywhere. I can%26#39;t wait to fully retire and be there 24/7.



Later.



Road Toad




Hi RoadToad!





Thanks sooooooooooo much for the recommendation! A wonderful couple just popped into town and asked me to show them our beautiful valley! They called me directly because of your post and I sincerely appreciate the recommendation. Referrals mean so very much to me and I%26#39;ll take very good care of them. They%26#39;re from Savannah and hopefully will retire here next summer! It%26#39;s always so much fun introducing my home town to others and showing them what a great place it is to live, plus everyone loves our low taxes! The city%26#39;s are clean, with lots of green rolling hills and we%26#39;re very hi-tech.





For any of you considering moving here, you might also want to keep up to date with all of the jobs coming in through the defense contractors at the Chamber%26#39;s website. You can even see short movies about Huntsville and the area, BRAC info, etc. at this website.





There%26#39;s a wealth of information about the area at Huntsville and Madison%26#39;s Chamber website and the city%26#39;s websites. You can keep up to date with all of the jobs coming in through the defense contractors, see short movies about Huntsville and the area, get BRAC info, etc. There is also a virtual newspaper at www.al.com for news on which company%26#39;s are bringng in new jobs and actual job listings.





Thanks so much RoadToad, call me when ya%26#39;ll are in town again. I owe you a dinner! Your realtor, M




I am a airline pilot who grew up here in ';The Valley'; and have said repeatedly that it is truly one of the greatest places to live, ';raise the kids';, and retire. Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, and even Atlanta are an easy drive.





I built my ';dream home'; on a 92 acre farm about 50 min. west of Redstone. I have friends from California and the Northeast who marveled at the beauty and cost of the finished product. Very few places in the country is one still able to have that. Oak trees, hummingbirds, bluebirds, deer, turkey, creeks and rolling hills. You can%26#39;t beat it.





If you want some other insights, just let me know!





Mike




Can anyone please tell me what the leaves are looking like right now? My husband and I are planning a road trip to see wonderful fall colors and we will be staying in the Redstone area a few days.





No comments:

Post a Comment