Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sharks

Has anyone seen any sharks lately? Some people from here just got back and a guy was fishing behind their condo and caught a four foot shark. Kinda makes me leary of getting in the water. Just wondering if this was a rare occurance or if it is something that happens often.



Sharks


Rare occurrence, I%26#39;m sure. See quite a few dolphins. Would be more concerned about the jelly fish than sharks.



Sharks


The thing to keep in mind is that there are sharks in the Gulf. They live there and go where they want when they want. I think the last shark incident in Gulf Shores was about five or six years ago, though.




Have the jellyfish cleared out any?




I was there , and heard the man say that he had caught a four foot shark the week we were there,



JUne 7 thru 14th...



That would be on west beach near bahama bobs




That was exactly where it was, behind the Carribean condos.




We just got back from Gulf Shores 6/21. We were walking the beach one night and saw a baby shark wash up. It was only about a foot or so long. It appeared to be hurt, so I would say that is the only reason it washed up. Something that stung was in the water most of the time we were there. I don%26#39;t know whether it was jelly fish, or what. I sure didn%26#39;t see any, but a lot of other people were complaining of being stung. I got back in the water the day before we left - 6/19 - and there was no stinging.




rdrunner - we are in GS now, staying on west beach and so far so good with the jellyfish. I hope it keeps up. Had not heard about the shark, will have to keep my ears open.




a person at our condo(tidewater) had 4 baby sharks about 1 foot in length each. not sure if they washed up to shore or were actually caught.




Not to be scary or anything, but yes the Gulf has Sharks. There are a lot of sand sharks, etc. beyond the breaks and they typically look for schools of fish to feed upon. It%26#39;s a somewhat rare occurence for them to come in contact with humans - they are looking for fish. Any beach along the coastlines is going to have sharks whether you are on the eastern seaboard, coasts of California or even in Alabama. Living here for more than 50 years it has been a very, very, very rare instance to hear of a shark attacking a human - as such was the case of the Robertsdale coach who was practicing for a Triathlon. I believe that was the attack that a previous poster referred to. Considering the number of visitors in the water each year - the risk is miniscule. If one washed up on shore, it was probably caught outside the breaks and tossed back by a boat. I%26#39;m not scared to go in the water nor am I afraid to let my grandchildren venture in because of sharks. I would be more concerned with rip tides and undertows.

No comments:

Post a Comment